10.08.2011

Playing catch up- Day 3-8

Well, I admitted in the begininng that lately I have not been a very good blogger. I know that it is not hard to write a quick post day to day but sadly I am now 5 days behind my Dominica Challenge that I started a week ago. I would like to say I can blame it on the fact that I was too busy pushing out a brand new baby, but apparently this little babe is stubborn and I won't get a chance to do that until Monday.
So let's get started...
In case you me need a reminder....
Day 3: How does the weather affect you?
When preparing to travel to Dominica, I thought I would be 100% immune to Dominica's weather. I mean, I grew up in Florida my whole life and was used to the hottest summers imaginable, thunder, lightning, rain, hurricanes, tornadoes, anything  mother nature could throw at you, I could handle it. But, it's one thing to experience all of those things while riding around in your car and it's another to experience them all while walking, pushing your not so light 3 year old in a stroller, with a back pack full of groceries, and gallons of water shoved wherever you can find a spot. Sounds fun right?
You learn to bring your umbrella with you where ever you go no matter if it's sunny when you walk out your front door. It becomes you best friend. True story. We were puttering around looking at a few garage sales this weekend and for some reason (thanks to my Dominica days) I saw an umbrella and immediately thought I needed it! Clearly, I still have some lingering issues.

Day 4: What has been your favorite trip?
There are so many beautiful places to visit while in Dominica. Truly, when I went out and explored the island is when I grew a greater appreciation for it's beauty. It's hard to name just one. The picturesque views of Batibou Beach will never be forgotten. Red Rock beach chairs and food are also high on my list. My first trip to Pagua was amazing! Jumping off 10ft ledges at Bense Pool. #1 Beach, Cabrits, our swim to Secret Beach,I could go on and on. But my most memorable trip was when my dear friend Sarah and I went ziplining in Dominicas rainforest. Many people have manned the obstacle course put on by Wacky Rollers, but I bet none of you experienced it during a hurricane huh? Lucky for us, As we were going through the rope course, Tropical storm (who knows which one I forgot) just so happened to be passing through. At one point a tree had literally fallen down 10 feet in front of us. Check out Sarah's post here.

Day 5: What don't you miss about home?
Before moving to Dominica, Norm and I moved back to our home town to A) save some money B) i got a great job opportunity and C) I was going to need some help for the 6 months Norm would be on the island and I would be in the states. With that said, in Dominica, we learned how to be a family of 3. We had no distractions of what brothers or sisters or aunts and uncles were doing that day. All that mattered was what we had to do that day. It mostly consisted of visiting Norm at school, but that was the best part. It was just the 3 of us and we grew so much as family during our time there. We learned how to lean on each other.

Day 6: Tell about an "Only in Dominica" moment?
Ha I laugh in the face of this question. Do I really only get to pick one? We've all had our moments meltdowns while living in Dominica. I only had about 2 months left until my moment came. There was a what we'll call a "miscommunication" with one of our roomates and our landlord about the water bill. Needless to say our water got cut off. Not just for a day, but for 5 whole days! I'm talking no water at all! I'm not talking about your run of the mill your water is turned off for a day because of the storm, or you turn your water on and have to let it run for a good ten minutes so it's not brown, I'm talking no flushing your toilets, no washing your hands, no water to cook, nothing. 
Thank goodness we lived next to a river. I started filling gallons of water down by the river and using my trusty stroller to haul them back to the house just to flush the toilets. Luckily, a good friend saw me doing this and told me I could use her neighbors hose up the street with cleaner water for the time being. It must have been right before a mini, because for some reason I lived with 3 men but was the only one pushing water to and fro. So, needless to say this went on for a few days. I actually got into a routine and was becoming second nature. We were either showering at our gracious friends the Lunts house or at the trusty CAC.
But then one god-awful night...the only time my son was sick on the island had to happen while we had no water. Projectiles from both ends gushing out of him. Lovely huh? So what would you do when your children are sick like that? Throw them in the shower right? Ha. I wish. Instead I stuck my poor sick little 3 year old boy in the bath tub and dumped gallons of water on him. Let me tell you, "Mother of the Year" award. Did I also mention he did this 5 times throughout the night? Did I also mention we ran out of sheets for him and he laid on towels that night? Did I also mention I called my husband who was studying in the library and for the first time in 16months and said I needed him to come home right now because this was one thing I couldn't handle alone. Did I also mention I booked my tickets home the next day? Did I also mention, I was 8 weeks pregnant and puking every where???? Ahhhh the memories.

Day 7: What was your best meal on the island?
Places like Rituals, George's, and Tomato comes to mind because they were always nice comfort food places. I had found a few dishes on their menus that I could stomach and actually didn't mind. But the first time I went to Pagua with the girls, it was like a little slice of America. I almost for a second that that I was back hom going out to eat with the girls. Good food is always best with even better company. I just wish I didn't puke the whole hour there and hour back because of Dominicas lovely roads. Boo for motion sickness.

Day 8: Does your spouse like it here?
To say that my husband loved Dominica would be an understatement. He still talks about going back after rotations while we wait to match for residency.He will talk about that island like he was living in paradise. In some ways he was, (having breakfast, lunch, and dinner cooked and brought to him daily) and other ways (sitting in a library for 13+ hours a day) he wasn't. He loved everything little thing about the island. He's a nature man, what can you expect.

So there you have it. I am officially caught up. You can check out my friend Katie's blog who issued this challenge and see what others friends are saying.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Cassie, you really caught up there! Hope your little one makes an appearance soon. I'm thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We even put up a pic in our house to remind us of zip lining through the jungle. Great times were had in Dominica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww casss this is sweet! I can't wait to read all about claire!

    ReplyDelete