June 2013. We decided the kids and I would move back to Florida while Norm finished his surgery rotation in New York. I would job hunt, live with his mother, sister, and brother and he would join 2 months later.
Thankfully, I found a job teaching at my old school I had taught at previously, before we left for the island.
Our plan was then to get our own place and save for residency. Little did we know the enormous cost that happened to even make it to residency. Board exams, applications, other fees, and then the interview process hit us like a ton of bricks and although we felt extremely blessed for the opportunities that seemed to be showering us, we also felt as if we were drowning a bit financially.
We decided to stay living with Norms family. After all it was only a year.
A year came and went so fast. We moved there and Luke was 8 weeks old. Claire celebrated her 3rd birthday there. Later on, Luke his first. The year had passed in a blink of an eye.
I'll forever be grateful for our time spent there.
The day before we left, (which was also graduation day in Miami) we were still packing, loading, breaking apart beds and cribs, and oh yes, of course, Norm was finishing his Jeep.
I thought this car was going to be the death of me. Still do. Norm's always liked to have little "projects" to work on. He's always tinkering with something. He'll be that old man in the shop 50 years from now with all his tools and tell stores of, remember when...
He thought it was be a good idea to completely restore a job. I mean completely restore it. Seat out floor out, tires off. Literally, a Fred Flinstone vehicle.
Well, he finished with 1 day to spare. Perfect timing my love.
Later that night (still all on the 13th. I'm telling ya, we're crazy!), we were surrounded by all of our family who helped us packed the biggest Penske truck St. Cloud had to offer. We filled that thing to the ceiling.
I really wish I had a picture of my dad packing. He has been there every single time we've moved. First, when we moved out on our own in 2005. Then back home in 2009. Then again when we left for the island in 2010. Back from the island and to Michigan in 2011. (Okay, I guess he did miss our move to Maryland, New Jersey, and New York, but we'll cut him a little slack). From New York to Florida and last but not least, Florida to Arizona. He's a master packer and a huge help!
I find it heard honestly, a month later to wrap my mind around the fact that we'll be here in Arizona for three years. I'm still pretty sad. My sister-in-law describes my feelings almost perfectly here. We love our family so much. We're trying to find our way in this journey and miss them more than they'll ever know.
Frick! now I am crying!! It's real, those missing feelings... and the three hour difference to complain about everything on the phone.
ReplyDelete