5.23.2011

These days I'm missing....

So I'm not sure if it's my raging pregnancy hormones or the fact that I feel a little "island" sick, but surprisingly, lately I've really been missing Dominica. I was talking with a friend this week and telling her how strange this whole process for us "Rossies" is. We go to the island for 16 months and leave our friends and family behind. Basically, you remove yourself from what is going on in the world and become quite out of touch with reality. It's hard to relate to your friends back in the states because your lifestyles at that point are polar opposites. Then, you are over the moon to return back to the states, only to sit and wonder what life is life back on the island. What your old friends are doing, what are there days filled with, and so on. I drive around town and I think I'm going to see this person, or go to church and expect to see our old branch, drop Norman off at school and miss his island teachers and there accents of "Hello Norman" greeting him at the door. Don't get me wrong, I love, love being in America, but there was something so simple about living on the island. I realize now, your life is so carefree. It may have not been "easy" but it was such a great place for our family to spend a year of our lives and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
These are just a few of the places and people I've been missing out on...
lazy days hanging out by the pool. seriously why did i think life was so hard?

such darling group of friends

ice cream celebrations...this is something we've continued :)

soccer camp!


Random Dominica moments at it's finest

beautiful red rock beack



my girls


cabrits and all it's beauty  





Sorry for the picture overload.
Happy Monday.

7 comments:

  1. So happy you are back but sad you left. It was such a unique life experience that you documented well and will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for pictures! You can never have too many. Life WAS so much simpler then, and cheaper. :) What a fun time we had there. I remember feeling like it would never end. And now it's ended. Kind of sad, kind of a relief. So glad we're in Michigan with you guys! It's a party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we felt that way too. still do sometimes. that what our whole life will be like though. you will probably miss michigan too when you leave. thank you ross. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so weird, because today (I don't remember where or why) I had a moment where I fully EXPECTED to see you and was disappointed when I realized I wouldn't. I'm getting sad that we're going to have to leave - no extensions left. :) For me it especially feels like home since two of my three years of marriage will have been spent on the island. It will be so strange to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about missing the island. I just want to go back so bad! I find myself on FB most of the day reading about what everyone "back home" are doing. I just want to get this little girl out so I can get back to my family and my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes miss the island too. Cute photos.

    ReplyDelete