5.02.2011

Need some advice

So we've been in Michigan for 2 weeks now and we are adjusting to our new life here. The weather is warming up most days and I can at least count on one hand the number of times the sun came out so that makes me happy. With this new transition Normie pooh has been a little slow to adjusting. First we had to fix the sound issue. Let's just say that our neighbors above us are not the most light-footed folks. We hear most noises daily. It's been a little annoying for us and we've learned how to tune it out but Normie has a hard time. So thanks to the wonderful Aunt Amber and the sound machine that problem was fixed. Now we move onto the next problem...
We've known for a long time that Norms been ready to stop wearing the pull-ups at night and move on to being a big boy. But we were living in Dominica where cleaning things was always a little sketchy and not the easiest of chores. Then we knew we would be traveling and be in Florida for a week then in a car for 3 days so we decided to wait til we got to Michigan. Then I decided to wait a week for the hubs to get home to help me out. So anyways, that brings us to this point.
We've been at it for a week and I'm ready to throw in the towel. We've only had one dry night and all other night we either wake up in the middle of the night wet or in the morning wet, sometimes both. Here's a few things I've tried and hasn't seem to help yet...
*cut off all liquids past 7
*make his go potty right before bed
*made a chart of when he's dry/wet with fun new stickers
*even tried waking him up in the middle of the night (crazy right? wake up a sleeping child but I'm desperate folks!)
And so here we are. All you more experienced Moms out there who've had stubborn boys when it comes to potty training at night, I need your help! Any advice or recommendations are being accepted!

And heres a picture because even though I've touched more pee this past week than I care to share I still think he's the cutest thing.

10 comments:

  1. According to our classes at school his sphincter control isn't totally supposed to be functioning yet so don't get too hard on him. That's thing I felt like I did wrong with Tyler. We totally would wake him as we were going to bed, keeping the lights off as to not wake him up too much, but make him again as we were going to bed. That helped. Also a few cheerios in the toilet for aiming practice also helped keep it a fun game and to actually aim instead of the spray and pray method. Remember praise the good and ignore the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie, seems like you have tried all the "usual" ways, I would wait another month and try again. He may just not be able to hold it all night yet. It's very normal so don't worry! I wouldn't stress about it, kids can pick up on the stress and that won't help anything, so take it slow and wait a month and see what happens. If he suddenly starts waking up dry in the morning, you'll know he's ready! Good luck! I think you're a great mom:) -Jennifer Dabrowski:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beej is right. My pediatrican said it's not a "problem" until they're 7. I wish I had know that when I was a kid :o) I wouldn't worry about it and if you are REALLY wanting to do with out, just give him a little more time to adjust to the new place ESPECIALLY if you're going to move again. He'll get there, he is only 3. ( I have to remind myself about that with Lexi when I get mad at her).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it's hard, but I would wouldn't worry one thing about it. I've known many boys who've had trouble controlling this and they're TONS older than Norm. I say let him be in pull-ups till he's eight and know that it's completely normal. ESPECIALLY because he isn't totally adjusted and big changes have happened so much in his little life. Oh, I love that kid. He's been such a trooper. And if it makes you feel any better, Lucy is almost 5 and had an accident every single day we were in St. George for 3 weeks. And that was during the day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you are doing everything you can do. We had the same problem with the boys, I would actually wake them up and take them as they were sleep walking just so I wouldn't have to change the sheets the next morning. lol. It is a hard adjustment for these Ross children, they have so many changes that they have to accept with no choice so maybe just give him more time. Make sure he goes before bed and then when he is dry the next morning, do something fun or make a big deal out of it :) I am not sure ? Either way you guys are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids are on different timelines. I agree with the suggestion to wait and try again in a month or two. The nighttime waking is for the birds. I would wait to try again when the pull-ups have been dry for at least 2 full weeks. All three of my kids were different. I never had a kid come to kindergarten wearing a pull-up. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish i had some advice, i am in the same boat. matix is still in pull-ups at night, and i don't even know when and how to start... if you figure it out, let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ditto Jessie's comment- let me know and it was fun to read the other comments- sorry that it is miserable though. boo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ditto Jessie's comment- let me know and it was fun to read the other comments- sorry that it is miserable though. boo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ditto Jessie's comment- let me know and it was fun to read the other comments- sorry that it is miserable though. boo.

    ReplyDelete