4.13.2011

Goodbye Dominica.

I had originally intended for the post to come much sooner than now. The thought was to have my experiences in Dominica fresh, exciting, lively. Instead, I came home to what I thought would be a nice relaxing week until I realized how much needed to get done. With that said, this morning I was glancing through old pictures and I'm glad that I could relive some of those memories. Good and bad. Happy and sad. Oh so sweet and bittersweet.
This next part is more for journaling purposes, not to bore you. If you would like to skip down to the pictures, feel free.
It all started with a little boy at the age of 9 or so telling his father that he wanted to become a doctor because all the "baby boomers" at the time would need health care. Quite a wise statement from a boy at the time, but with that Norm made it all the way to college still wanting that dream to become a reality. He started out at a small community college and then later transfered to UCF where he majored in Micro and Molecular Biology. We both attended UCF and life was grand. Then with the arrival of Norm Jr. we had to slow down a bit. I still had a year left to finish my bachelors in education so Norm decided to get a second major in Biotechnology. Little did we know this was all part of Heavenly Fathers plan. After we both graduated in June of 2009 we moved back to good ole St. Cloud with Norms family. I thankfully got a job at a wonderful elementary school and Norm was preparing for the MCAT. With all the ups and downs life has to offer, he put in as much study time as possible. His score was good, but not as good as he wanted. We decided to still start applying, knowing he may have to take the test over and still possibly have to wait until August of 2010 to even get in to school. We applied to Ross University on a whim. He would always say, if I could just get an interview with someone I know I'll get in. And thats what happend. In a whirlwind span of about 3 months, Norm applied to Ross, got an interview, and they wanted him to leave in January! What?! Move to another country in about 8 weeks! Norm didn't even have a passport. And I was in the middle of teaching. We just got married. I was living with his family. The list goes on and on. After many days of prayer and fasting we decided this is where we needed to be. Norm would go and normie and I would shortly follow. Many thoughts went through my head the day we went to the airport and I stood with my son who is infatuated with his father knowing that in 6 months we would be reunited again. I fought back the tears and felt like I had to be strong for both of my Norms. It wasn't easy being the single parent for those 6 months but we survived and were stronger for it. Norm did well in his first 2 semesters and we were on our way!
This is where the adventure begins for our family. I learned  many do's and don'ts so to speak in Dominica:

Dont's:
don't step in any puddle of water on the street, more than likely it's running from someones house/toilet/shower/whatever
don't get close to the cows, they will come after you
don't be scared of the locals, they really are a nice people
don't expect to run into 7/11 for a quick stop, it always take atleast 10 mins
don't drink the water
don't think the cars will stop/wait for you, they won't
don't sit in your house around the hours of 3-6 during the months of may-september with no ac on unless you feel like loosing 5lbs instantly
 I'm sure there's more but that's all i got right now folks

Do's.
 get out of your house and experience this island! even if it means spending the money on the guide and the transport. everytime i did, i learned to appreciate its beauty that much more
 get to know the spouses. they make your time on the island manageable and become life long friends
 let your husband study. remember thats why you're here. but it's always nice to give a friendly reminder that you are there too :)
 get involved in the community. there's so many organizations that you can volunteer any extra time you have. you'll feel so uplifted and humbled 
take everything here for what it's worth. 
remember where you are living. but also remember this is temporary. and also remember when complaining about how much you hate this place there are no locals around. remember this is there home and they love it.

During our time in Dominica we've had quite a few changes. Take a look at our before and after pictures.
The sweet new playground that sadly we will never see finished

The amazing new IGA that opened the night before I left but once I heard it was opened they weren't letting anyone else in because the store was too full. :(
  
Norman officially learned how to swim here in this pool. Could swim from the steps to the side of the pool without any help. And would even come up for air on his own.
First and last day in dominica

Football game fun
a civil marriage then a temple marriage
this just makes me cry.

 
I've been back now a week. People often ask me, "How does it feel to be home?" Of course my response is, "It's great!" Then I look at these pictures and I think, well my life was great there too. My life for my son was even better. My life for our little family of 3 soon to be 4 wasn't so bad either. We didn't have any distractions. Just us. I think of all the wonderful memories we had there and I can speak for Norm and myself when I say this was the best experience we could've asked for. Norm Jr was just 3 when we got there and now almost 4. What a great time for him to live on a nature island. I just pray some of those memories will stick. He learned how to catch his first lizard here. Learned how to swim. Learned how to make new friends, and learned how to deal with old friends coming and going. Learned that Dominica is our home. We learned as husband and wife to be just that, husband and wife. We were blessed to be able to go home and be sealed together as a family for time and all eternity. No greater blessing than that. We were humbled many times and got down on our knees and thanked Heavenly Father for what we have. 
We are excited for a change. We are excited for a new adventure in our lives. Norm is now done with the book work of medical school and can now start putting his knowledge into hands-on experience. He's done wonderful throughout all of this. It's not easy for him to sit in a library for 10+ hours a day while his family is at home anxiously awaiting 10minutes of his time. But he took it all in stride like a trooper. He's an amazing man and thankful that he is my husband and the father of my children. I couldn't imagine going through this with anyone else. I look forward to the next 6 or so years we have of this struggling, so when we make it in the end, we are that much more thankful.

10 comments:

  1. this is so beautiful, as i sit here in tears but with a smile on my face i think about the past. i love you guys and im so happy too see that you are a happy united family! i can remember the beginning of you relationship back in high school and the crawling in and out of windows! haha, and it really is amazing to see how far you have both come and grown together! i love you cassi and you will always be my oldest dearest friend! im am so happy for you and both of your norms and the old adventures you have had and the new ones you are about to begin! may your lives, struggles and all always be full of hope love and unity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright you sure know how to make a postpartum lady tear up! Beautifully written Cassi, I feel the same way. And man what a tease with the IGA! And what a beautiful playground! They'll never know how easy they have it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my beetle!!! (and my wife of course....lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww!! So sweet! I am happy you had the experience! You guys have grown and have some crazy stories to tell... love you all very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cassi, I loved reading your post.
    This journey is amazing and being able to experience it and make memories with people like you makes this road even sweeter.
    Love ya! ps. Welcome to the US; I will miss seeing you-- my Dominican friend.
    Ladonna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you were here to learn all of that while we were here, too. Good luck with all the craziness that comes with living off the rock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the post Cassie! You are a doll and so are your Norms. You better keep in contact, I sure appreciated all of your kindness to us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so sweet and beautifully written... but we are so glad you are back!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, why are these pictures making me miss Dominica?! It's really true that the mind can block out bad memories:) That playground rocks though & I'm bummed we never got to experience it. Would've been SO nice to have a shady place for them to play (and us to sit:)

    ReplyDelete