5.26.2013

Birth story about our babe

Luke Spencer Beatty

You followed suit like your brother and sister and decided that you wanted to stay past your expected arrival. I, like the others, was more than ready for your grand entrance. A few weeks leading up to your birth we talked over our options with the doctor. He was very kind and knew of our situation. Norm would be in Florida two weeks before your due date and two weeks after. We knew that since I was induced with the first two my chances of being induced a third time around were pretty good. Since he is the only doctor in his practice he delivers all his babies and tries to schedule inductions on Mondays. With us knowing this in time we could some what arrange flights for grandparents and Norm.
The first Monday (April 29th) that we talked about being a possible induction came and went since I wasn't dilated any at my appointment the Thursday before. So we knew the big day would be the following Monday, May 6th. Flights were booked and I was ready. Mentally and physically. 
Dr. Azad wanted me to go in on Sunday evening so they could monitor me and start the pitocin around 5am Monday morning. I had a feeling he didn't like to drag out his inductions. So Sunday night we arrived to the hospital around 5pm. They checked me in and get a room ready for me. Norm went and got Subway for us for dinner since I wasn't allowed to eat late into the night for the early morning induction. 
The resident on call coincidentally knew Norm from when he had completed his OB/GYN rotation at the hospital. She was a 2nd year resident and made me feel really comfortable. She decided to check me to see how far dilated I was and if I was progressing any on my own since my appointment on Thursday. When she checked me she said that I had a "posterior cervix" meaning it sits back really high. So I was only 2cm but still wasn't effaced any. She decided to insert a prostaglandin called cervidil to help soften the cervix and help jump start the contractions, so when they started the pitocin drip in the morning things would go quickly. I was fine with it and thought anything to get this baby out faster is good with me. 
The labor and delivery room was really small and only  had a chair so after visiting hours were over I told Norm to go home and get a good nights rest and come back in the morning after he took Norm Jr. to school. He had been away at this point for two weeks and the kids were missing him so much.
He left around 8 and I started to hunker down for the night. I remember the movie Blind Side was on and started watching that. Then I caught up with an old friend from Dominica for a little bit. The movie finished around 11 and I figured I should try and get as much rest as you can in a hospital since Monday was the big day. 
I couldn't really get comfortable for a while but was blaming it mostly on all the machines they have you hooked up to. I kept tossing and turning and noticed I was having some stomach cramps. With the previous two pregnancies I never experienced contractions until I had the pitocin so I was completely convinced my body could contract on it's own with out it. 
It was shortly after that the contractions started to intensify. Around 12:30 the nurse came in and I asked her if she could look at the machine for me to confirm in my crazy mind that I was indeed having contractions and not gas pains which I thought they were. She confirmed my suspicions and said they were pretty regular and asked if I wanted the anesthesiologist to come and administer the epidural. 
I didn't have one with Norman or Claire and really wanted to see how much of the pain I could manage on my own with out it. I was definitely in pain but thought I could stick it out a bit longer. The thought of the needle in my back and not being able to feel my legs freaks me out more than the birth as crazy as it sounds. 
I called the nurse back in 30 minutes later because the pain was almost unbearable. She called the resident in to check me before giving me the epidural just so I could mentally prepare myself for how much longer this would be. When the resident checked me she said, "I think you should call your husband. Your about to have the baby. You're 9 cm." I could then hear her call down the hall to the nurse to page Dr. Azad at home. From there I feel like it was a bit of a blur. I hadn't prepared myself mentally to have the baby that night. I thought I could only have the baby if I had pitocin in my system. Heck, my water still hadn't broke and I was 9 cm! I called Norm at 1:15 am and told him I was in a lot of pain, was 9 cm, and he needed to get to the hospital ASAP, and then hung up the phone. Probably not the best way to wake him up. He left before my mom or his mom could even think about coming to the hospital. He got to the hospital in record time. I remember him coming into the room around 1:30am and by 1:49am Luke was born. Fun story. Later, Norm was questioned if he indeed was the man they saw on the camera's who passed through the check in counter and was running through the hospital.
We were all in a bit of a shock that it was a boy! Norm Jr. was the only one who really stuck with his guns on it being a boy. He guessed correctly with Claire too. We are now referring to him as the baby whisperer. 
With all that shock came just as must joy. I remember before I had Claire wondering how I could love another baby as much as I loved Norm Jr. This time around I wondered how I could split my time up evenly between all three without leaving someone out. (still working on this one). 
Luke's been the perfect addition to our family. So far he's a really calm, quiet baby. We are truly blessed. 

The day of delivery. Who would've thought I would actually miss that belly?


Little Lukie. He was so blue when he came out he looked like a smurf. The umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck when he came out.
The proud grandmas. I was so grateful to have family there to support me.
 

2 comments:

  1. Ah! Best story ever! I love it! SO glad Norm was able to be there, what a blessing. I'm still working on balancing the time between all three kids too, it's so rough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ready birth stories...congrats on your little boy

    ReplyDelete