Norm started kindergarten on Thursday. He's been waiting for this day since we moved here in April and wanted to start school then. This day has been one that we welcomed with open arms in our home. Book bag and school supplies, lunch box and water bottle, and outfit had been ready to go the week prior. (The outfit part is quite easy thanks to the school uniforms.)
The morning started off a little rocky to say the least. Mostly my fault. I definitely lost some "cool" mom points. I forgot his lunch. Ran up the three flights of stairs. Ran back down. Realized I left the keys locked up stairs. Rang our landlords door at 8am and embarrassingly asked her for her extra set. Ran back up three flights of stairs. Started our 30 minute walk to realize I left his water bottle in the fridge. I couldn't get it together I tell you!
I then continued to hurry Norman along our almost mile walk to school the whole time reminding him we don't want to be late to school on our first day of school. In the meantime, Claire is either arching her back in a ridiculous manner to get herself out of the stroller or she waves at ever single car that passes by us on the street. I'm not sure yet which I prefer. Regardless, we made it to the cafeteria on time thankfully. I get there to then realize it's just a half day and I will get to do all this walking again in an hour. (Let's just say his school isn't the greatest at communication) Lucky me.
I run home to put Claire down for her morning nap to have to wake her in an hour to walk 30 minutes again to go get Norman. (Why do I feel like I'm reliving my life in Dominica all over again?!?!) Although, I don't think she minded much. She was all smiles to see her big brother.
When we picked him up I soon found out that that ever so cute first day of lunch I packed him and ran up and down three flights of stairs three times was forgotten in the classroom. "But that's okay mom, I liked the schools peaches better." Great.
On our walk home he didn't say much about his school day academic wise. He did however tell me I was asking too many questions and he wasn't quite the "expert" on school just yet. And he told a kid he liked to watch nature shows on Netflix and the kid told him that nature shows were boring and that SpongeBob was better. He rebutted with "well learning is cool and my mom says I don't learn when I watch Sponge Bob." Good job Normie.
He did happily inform me that he "didn't let any toots out while at school." (something that we've been working on at home. No one wants there kid to be the "smelly one.") Good job son.
Day two was pretty similar except our conversation on our walk to school went a little something like this:
"Are you sure you wouldn't want to ride the bus to school with the other kids??"
"No mom. Then I wouldn't be able to talk to you and spend all this time with you telling you about my day!"
"But you didn't tell me anything about your day."
"I'll tell you about it tomorrow."
Okay Norman. You got me.
Oh I love every part of this post and especially the part where he told the kid that learning is cool. Dang straight! What a lucky teacher he has, he is the kind of kid every teacher loves.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, hilarious!!! Learning is better- ha! love him. I have to say, you are a MUCH more patient mom than I. There is no way I'd be walking Tate a mile to school just so we could talk. No way.
ReplyDeletehaha trust me chels we may be revisiting that conversation once winter approaches
DeleteOh my gosh cass, I just love this boy! I was cracking up while reading this!! expecially about the tooting!! haha I can't believe little normie is in school!!! Oliver is next!!! Then Bella!! AHH!! And he is just such a sweetheart, wanting to talk to you... OH I LOVE HIM!
ReplyDeleteI love the quotes and couldn't wait to read this! Also, sorry I forwarded your call to voicemail Saturday, I was on the line with someone and couldn't get away from the calls. Then I was working. Call ya tomorrow! love you guys so much! Little Normie is so clever! and I love the new blog design! So sweet!
ReplyDeletePS There are 5 chairs... are you trying to tell us something?
ReplyDeleteFunny. I don't think I put that much that into picking a free template.
DeleteHilarious. Wish you guys were closer.
ReplyDeleteHa. I love that you recorded this! I need to do more posts like this!
ReplyDelete