11.13.2011

And....we're off to....

If you read my last post you would know that we were waiting ever so patiently to hear back from Ross on when and where Norm would be starting rotations. I, of course, had envisioned the phone call going something like this....
"Norm, considering your amazing Step1 score it seems like we can either offer you rotations in Florida, California, or Michigan that way you can stay in one spot for two years so you don't have to move you small little family across the country."
Instead it went something like "Ugh...we have a few rotations here there and everywhere, and really not that many until January so unless you want to go into Temporary Withdrawn Status you have to move around."
Perfect.
For all of you Rossies out there you'll understand this jargon, if not, then you can just scroll down if you wish.
Norm started Ross in January which clearly isn't the normal time for college start dates. So with that being said, he's a lttle off track of to be eligible for what they call the "Track" rotations (being in one spot for all your rotations.) We wnt back and for and back and forth talking about all of our options. But Norm really doesnt want to have gaps in schooling (neither do i since you don't get your loan check until weeks into your 1st rotation).
So, we took what we can get and just roll with it.

Here is what the next few months will look like for the Beattys
1st Stop- November 28th-January 6th (6 weeks) Norm will start his Family Medicine rotation at Union Memorial Hospital in the heart of downtown Baltimore, Maryland.
Then, three day later, thats right I said 3 days, he'll start Internal Medicine for 12 weeks in Perth Amboy, New Jersey at Raritan Bay. He'll wrap up there March 30th and then our last stop is
Brooklyn New York at New York Methodist Hospital to do his Psych rotation for 6 weeks.

So there you have it. There's so many things about this that give me anxiety and have kept me up since finding out the schedule. Do you know how hard it is to find apartment leases for 6 weeks?? Do you know how little money students have to live the "city" life?? It makes it no fun. Do you know how hard it is to move a 4 yr. old around who doesn't adjust well to the unknown. Or to continue ripping him out of schools and away from friends? Or the fact that it's pointless and impossible to unpack things in a tiny dingy 1 bedroom apartment to know that I'll be re-packing it in a few weeks. I could keep going but I'm trying to stay positive. Yes, that is me being positive. The only thing that keeps me sane is the fact that this is temporary and one day we'll stay put. Until then, wish us luck!

6 comments:

  1. I feel for you guys. I really do. I think I'm going to coin a new phrase. When Ross does things like schedule you in 18 different places, it will now be known as Rossome. Not awesome, Rossome.

    On a positive note, sounds like Norm smoked the step. Congrats. This is Wyatt BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHH!!!!!! Oh my gosh! I mean how awful, but how wonderful that you are moving forward! I'm so envious, and congratulations on the Step, Norm! What a genius husband you have. We are so thrilled and anxious and just happy for you. So sorry that the next few months is going to be so crazy. Wish I were by you to help. Wish I could give you a million bucks to make it all a little easier, wish I could steal little Norm and let him go to school with Lucy for a while! Oh, you'll be great, Cassi. We'll say tons of prayers for you. What an adventure! Take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassi,
    I miss you guys every night as we tuck Oliver in bed and he talks about "cassi and norman," as if he fit you into his playing throughout the day. We love you and will keep praying in your behalf. What flexibility this is teaching you right? Think about the Saints. Instead of moving around with an annoying phone call, there were mobs, fires, destruction. You got this! You are going to places where you will be able to serve others. We love you and know that this will not make it any easier! Hopefully we can sneak in a visit or two while you are away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, congrats on finishing and doing well on the step. thats great news. no thank you to ross in setting you up in so many different locations. can he settle into a track after these first three? good luck with everything, i am sure it's stressful, but you have made it this far! :) try to get into georgia after all this mess, okay? that would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boooooo I'm so sorry. We did the same thing- you would think Ross would want to make life a little easier for those who score well or have families of 4 - one being an infant * but no for some reason we are the ones most picked on! The only thing I can say is that you will survive- at least, I have so far( though I'll let you know when we move back to Augusta in a few months). Listen to Hilary weeks new song danced in the rain- its my montra of late! We re praying for you;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my heck Cassi! I am having anxiety just reading this! We are in your same boat, so this will be us in a little bit :( Good luck with the moves, I really can't imagine what it will be like. Post lots about it!

    ReplyDelete