1.07.2010

Getting ready for class

So I have been in new student orientation this week. Most of the information that has been presented I am already aware of but I did learn some new stuff. They held a Q&A session in which they brought in several upper semester students as well as graduates to discuss their success. The advice they gave was good to hear and I feel that I am on the right track.

They talked about staying ahead and not falling behind. The analogy that many people use here is "eating all your pancakes". You are given 5 pancakes to eat everyday and if you don't eat five one day and only eat three than two will rollover to the next day. Now you have to eat seven pancakes and lets say you only eat three again than those four roll over to the next day and so on. After awhile of getting behind you ultimately dig your own grave because there is just to much material that you need to cover. You need to put in at least 8hours a day into studying and even on the weekends. They also stressed that you should prioritize your time to allow for some extracurricular activities. You can easily become stressed out and you need to find a good balance that works for you.

I have already created a schedule for myself that correlates to my lecture and my studying. My down time each day will be hitting the gym at some point. Since the schedule that they have designed for all 1st semester students changes each week I will have to plan week by week. Generally speaking I will have lecture starting at 8am and this will go to around 2pm. Next semester lectures end at 5pm! I will have anatomy lab two times a week with a specific dissection each meeting. I also have Problem Based Learning sessions where I meet with a small group five times this semester to discuss a real-life case and come to a diagnosis. The professor in charge will direct us in the right direction when we need help but will also be grading us as a group to see how we perform together. Another program that I will be involved in is called academic success. They meet three times a week. This program utilizes discussion and sample problems to review the material throughout the week. Sounds like a great tool that all students should use but many do not. Statistically over 80% of the students who were active in academic success graduated without failing any course. To me it's a "no brainer" to be involved.

The one thing that I have noticed is that there are two kinds of students here. Granted everyone seems very intelligent and worthy to be in medical school but around half just don't seem to be focused on success. There is partying going on and cliques of people forming. Unfortunately you can tell that they are not mature and are allowing themselves to be distracted. I am so glad that I will not be distracted one bit. I feel that I am ready to embark on this journey. Students like me are dedicated to success and determined to do well. Ross is an institution that makes you work hard to be worthy to be one of their graduates. This is why when you graduate from Ross you are respected throughout the medical community. Anyways thought I would make that comment I am going to be just fine!!

I am looking forward to the anatomy lab because I will be able to actually see what the inside of our bodies. This experience for me is something that I cannot wait for. Having the knife in my hand is going to make me feel like a surgeon! Pretty cool! Ill let you know how it goes maybe takes some pics...

Other than that I officially check-in tomorrow and will be given my financial aid check. I have one last weekend to relax before the insanity starts so I am just going to chill maybe do a little snorkeling.
Last time I went out I saw about twelve lobsters so I am just waiting for all my cookware to get here and then it's game time!! An hour a week gathering lobster can't hurt anyone! HA HA C-ya

1 comment:

  1. Hahah! Lobster sounds great! If you ever need recipes, look @ www.marthastewart.com... Sha has every recipe possible on her site! Just to mix things up a bit! Well, I am glad to hear you are doing well. Oliver has put up a fight w/this schedule that I am trying. I am sticking to my guns though. He is a real sweet boy and I cannot express how much I love him! I am proud of you big brother!! You are awesome! Keep your head in the game! I will try to do the same. My classes start next week too! Love you! AMZ

    ReplyDelete