12.30.2009

Getting down to Dominica










My adventure started at OIA at an early 3:00am in the mourning. I had to be there 3 hours early because my flight left at 6:00am. So Cassi, lil norm and my mother came with me to the airport. I was full of all sort of emotions but I went through customs and of course they had to search my bag entirely! So anyways my flight to San Juan was fine and when I got there I met with the Ross personnel at my terminal. Here a picture to the left I had the lady take of me.


So here is the Liat airplane that I took to Antigua first and then Melville Hall, Dominica. What an experience! The plane is well maintained and looks perfectly functional but taking off was different than most commercial flights we are used to. It was very load and the plane shook quite a bit but once you were in the air I felt fine. The whole flight I thought I was going straight to Dominica. The pilot said over the intercom prepare for landing we are 5 mins away from Antigua international airport. I was freaking out because I thought I had wondered on the wrong flight somehow. I literally sat there and was like...great! So I got off and a Ross representative grabbed me and was like come with you are about to leave for Dominica. I really didn't know what was going on. She wisp me through customs in front of everyone and jumped straight to the front of the extremely long line and I was on another Liat plane and on my way. Honestly they never said anything to me about stopping in Antigua but I didn't care as long as I made it to Dominica. So here are some photos of Antigua and then Dominica from the air.




The island is really mountainous and the ride to my room was over an hour. I will never forget this ride! There was three other students and a couple Ross employees in the 1987 Nissan van stick shift and I felt like we were going to flip every turn. Literally I cannot stress enough you feel like your going over the edge of a mountain every turn but I did make it. So I nestled into my spot and went right to sleep watching the Miami game on ESPN. I was surprised they have like a hundred channels to choose from on my little TV. So to conclude my blog I just wanted to leave everyone with a picture of the beach front from my room. I will now be going fishing!

See ya!!












7 comments:

  1. Awesome Norm! I'm glad everything went well! We love you! My blog is jaepperson.blogspot.com! Love AMZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew the plane was landing in Antiqua! I was watching the plane as it flew on flight tracker. So glad that the Ross rep grabbed you. Send more pics, like of your room. All the boys went to the Miami game...sad ending. That's great that you have ESPN. Sounds like the accounts were accurate of the ride to the school. Love ya m,uch, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Norm! call us for heaven's sake :)
    we are having a New Year's get together and would love if you can come!
    285-5234 or 435-705-8479

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss you norm and im so happy everything went well! I hope you are settling in and getting all your fishing out of the way! take pics of your catches! and your awesome dinner! I'm so jealous! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FREE DINNER on Sunday if you interested at the COOKS house and you can call your familia! just our fam and another new student coming. - same place as new years night! - Kristy Cook - bnkntt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. norm glad to see u have ajusted ti the island life lov to here the diving stories bring back memories keep in touch when u can.... cold here in jersey. i am getting ajusted.. i love u...keep up the hard work.... can't wait to see u there maybe when i am through with this job lov dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss ya homie. That island vibe is just what u needed. Have fun and be as productive as u been, & everyting will be ire. expect to see me there in the near future, after an emergency haiti trip. God bless u brah!

    ReplyDelete